We are searching data for your request:
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.
At 64 years of age Karyn Calabrese looks nearly a generation younger and enjoys endless energy, stamina and enthusiasm. She says her secret is that she undertakes regular detox and cleansing programs and adheres to a raw vegan diet.
Calabrese operates several successful health oriented restaurants in Chicago as well as conducting raw food cleansing classes.
In her book, Soak Your Nuts, she provides readers around the world with access to the 28 day raw detox that has helped her students in Chicago overcome weight issues, skin problems, fibromyalgia, insulin dependence, insomnia, sinusitis, and a variety of other health problems.
28 Day Raw Detox Diet Basics
Readers are introduced to Nature’s Healing System, which is based on a raw vegan diet including vegetables, fruits, sprouts, nuts, seeds, sea vegetables and fresh juices. The concept of her approach involves three major elements that she refers to as the Three Rs:
- Remove the foods that are compromising your health and depressing your metabolism.
- Replace the harmful foods with healthy foods that nourish your body at a cellular level.
- Rebalance your eating habits, attitudes and beliefs to support a youthful and energetic body.
The 28-day raw detox outlined in her book is a system of cleansing the body that she developed over many years. The benefits include elimination of excess acid and yeast overgrowths, loosening of mucus from the colon and providing the body with oxygen.
In week one you will start to evaluate your dietary choices and adopt a vegan diet. You also commence a variety of nutritional supplements including chlorella, digestive enzymes and fiber. Calabrese teaches about the benefits of a fermented drink called Rejuvelac, which she recommends you incorporate into your daily diet.
As you enter into week two you are encouraged to start eating a raw food diet, which will allow you to undergo deeper cleansing. You may notice detoxification reactions such as headaches, skin eruptions or digestive disturbances, however these are to be welcomed as a sign that positive changes are occurring.
In week three you undertake a three-day fast on fresh juices, green drinks and Rejuvelac. Colonics and enemas are also recommended to support the detoxification process.
You will continue with a raw food diet and nutritional supplements in week four as you prepare to end the cleanse and move into an eating plan that will work for you in the longer term.
Recommended Raw Foods
Fresh fruit, vegetables, sprouts, seaweed, raw almonds, flaxseeds, oat groats, coconut, Rejuvelac, avocado, spirulina, lecithin, cinnamon, agave nectar, fenugreek, chlorella.
Sample 28 Day Raw Detox Meal Plan
Green meal shake
Dr. Wigmore’s Energy Soup
Almond pate with raw vegetable sticks
Garden salad with avocado and Karyn’s Lemon-Herb Dressing
Gentle exercise helps you to focus on the changes in your body and gain a deeper understanding of the mind-body connection and how it affects your health. Meditative walks, qigong and yoga are recommended.
As you progress through the 28 day raw detox program you are encouraged to devote an hour each day to yoga but not physically demanding styles such as Bikram and Ashtanga.
It is also beneficial to jump on a mini trampoline because this helps your lymphatic system to eliminate toxins.
Costs and Expenses
Soak Your Nuts: Cleansing With Karyn: Detox Secrets for Inner Healing and Outer Beauty retails at $16.95.
- Encourages the consumption of a high intake of fresh fruit and vegetables.
- Promotes cleansing and detoxification, which may assist in recovery from stubborn or chronic health conditions.
- Advocates a vegan diet, which can reduce the risk of cardiovascular disease and cancer.
- An individualized approach to eating is recommended rather than following a set diet plan.
- May help to increase motivation and kick start a new healthy approach to eating.
- A 28 day raw detox should be a fairly easy time frame for most dieters to stick with the program.
- Does not include a meal plan.
- Only a small selection of recipes is provided.
- Requires the use of a variety of nutritional supplements.
- Will involve more time to be spent on meal preparation.
- Most dieters will experience detox symptoms to some degree such as headaches, fatigue, bad breath and digestive disturbances.
- Some dieters may have difficulty following the three day fast, especially if unable to take a break from work or other normal daily activities.
- Advocates the use of enemas and colonics, which some readers may not be comfortable with.
- Does not include a maintenance plan.
This 28 day raw detox program is based on a raw vegan diet in combination with a variety of whole food nutritional supplements.
It will appeal to anyone who wants to learn more about the raw food diet or get a kick-start on a healthy lifestyle weight loss program.
By Mizpah Matus B.Hlth.Sc(Hons)
- Kader, A. A., Perkins-Veazie, P., Lester, G. E. (2012). Nutritional quality of fruits, nuts, and vegetables and their importance in human health. Extracted on http://www. ba. ars. usda. gov/hb66/025nutrition. pdf, 22. link
- Ellis, A. W. Oral Allergy Syndrome Precipitation and Sprouted-Grain Bread: A Case Report. Journal of Asthma Allergy Educators, 2150129712459754. link
Last Reviewed: June 20, 2017